The book: Enjoyable, but might be confusing if numerous characters with backstories isn't your thing or if you prefer more realistic mysteries
The author: Worth reading again
Review:
This was my third or fourth Puzzle Lady Mystery that I have had the pleasure of reading. I found the first one more than slightly confusing due to the sheer number of characters that were both interrelated and had backstories that were a bit convoluted. The basic idea behind these mysteries is that Cora Felton is the grandmotherly public face of a local crossword puzzle creator, who is secretly Cora's niece Sherry. Cora is well-known for her numerous vices: smoking, cussing, and marrying, although there are numerous references to her previous drinking days, too. Cora moonlights in solving mysteries, although she does so in a manner that breaks as many laws as possible. Since she is the Puzzle Lady, these books include a number of crossword puzzles spread throughout them that are clues to the various crimes that have been committed. Since Cora cannot solve a crossword puzzle to save her life, Sherry is forced to get involved in things she would rather avoid.
The rest of the characters are a bit tedious to slog through at first. There's the whole string of Cora's exes, Sherry's abusive ex-husband, Sherry's best friend who at some point in the series marries the abusive ex, some reporter boyfriend, the local police, the attractive female lawyer, and a number of other hangers-on. Like I said, I was a bit lost in the first book, although I'm starting to pick up more details now. Almost all of these characters, Cora being the most glaringly obvious, are incredibly snarky and exchange sarcastic barbs left and right. Anyone who knows of my own penchant for snark can tell right away why I appreciate Parnell Hall's writing style.
In this particular book, Cora is essentially set up for a number of crimes, some which she actually committed in her efforts to avoid being framed for murder, after a string of wonky connections gets her involved in trying to solve a theft while being sued for stealing another puzzle writer's crossword puzzle. Realistically speaking, any lawyer worth their salt would get the actual perpetrators out of jail simply due to the illegal means Cora uses to find evidence. I also find it unlikely that the guilty parties would behave in the manner in which the author describes when Cora finally figures out Whodunnit. Too many years of dealing with lying and/or otherwise misbehaving kidlets leads me to believe the perpetrators' actions would be quite different in real life. However, I like hearing nice and neat solutions to problems, so I am willing to overlook this issue. The overdose of snark throughout the book makes it all worthwhile as far as I am concerned.
All in all, I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys both mysteries and crossword puzzles, loves protagonists who are not afraid to break the law, heartily enjoys sarcasm and other flippant commentary, and who does not mind having to suspend some disbelief in the manner in which crimes are solved. I certainly plan on reading more of them in the near future, although I will most likely hunt down a copy of the original book in the Puzzle Lady Mysteries so I can try and straighten out those bizarre character connections and backstories.
Other books I have read in this series:
The Sudoku Puzzle Murders
Stalking the Puzzle Lady
And a Puzzle to Die On
No comments:
Post a Comment